Post-Surgical Instructions Following:
Extraction, Bone Graft, Sinus Lift, Implant Placement, and Implant Uncovering
Please read and follow instructions carefully for maximum comfort and fewer problems following surgery
- BLEEDING: Expect minor oozing for up to 24hrs after surgery. If bleeding continues apply pressure with a wet gauze/napkin for approximately 20-30 minutes, BUT if heavy bleeding continues, contact the office immediately. Do not blow your nose or cough forcefully.
- SWELLING: Some swelling is normal after surgery. Place an ice pack adjacent to the surgical site over the next 36 hours alternating the pack 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off.
- MEDICATIONS: Take your prescriptions as instructed. Do not drink alcoholic drinks or take other medicine without checking with your doctor first. Take medications with food to lower the chance of causing nausea. If you do become sick or a rash develops, contact the office immediately.
- FLUIDS: DO NOT USE A STRAW. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids over the next few days.
- DIET: Be sure to stick with a soft diet for the next 7-10 days. DO NOT chew anything that you cannot smash with the back of a fork. DO NOT eat anything with hard and/or sharp edges or that is difficult to chew, such as chips, popcorn, crusty bread, rolls or nuts. DO NOT eat foods that require any tearing or biting with your front teeth such as pizza, sandwiches, bagels, breakfast bars, etc. DO NOT eat any hard foods such as carrots, chips, apples and absolutely no GUM or NUTS.
- ACTIVITY: Reduce your activities for the next few days. Avoid running or participating in strenuous activity for 3-5 days. Please rest the day of surgery.
- BRUSHING/RINSING: DO NOT brush or floss the surgical site. Continue brushing the rest of your teeth as normal. NO VIGOROUS RINSING OR SPITTING FOR THE FIRST 24HRS. Gently rinse with the Peridex once in the morning and once at night for the first 10 days. During the day, you can rinse with warm salt water (1/4 tsp to 8 oz of water) as many times as needed.
- AVOID: Alcoholic drinks, smoking and other tobacco products for at least 10 days. Smoking will delay the healing process, cause “dry socket”, and ultimately cause implants to fail.
- SUTURES: An appointment will be made approximately 10 days after your surgery if non resorbable sutures are placed. Often the surgeon will use sutures that will resorb on their own in a few days and a postoperative appointment may or may not be needed.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your healing process, please contact the office at 503-366-4248